How to get a birth certificate for a newborn baby in India?
Obtaining a birth certificate for a baby is necessary within 21 days of the baby’s birth at the location of the birth.
However, the question which still stands is how to get it? From where to get it? What are the documents required for a birth certificate for a newborn baby in India? Or how to obtain a baby birth certificate at the hospital?
For a new parent, it is a lot to take in, including the fact that you also have a baby’s mother to take care of, who is tired and exhausted. Moreover, all she wants is to hold her baby and cuddle with him, rather than trying to understand how to get a birth certificate for a newborn baby in India.
So, to make the birth certification process seamless for you, I have thought of answering every question which might pop up in your mind.
I believe being ready is better than running from one department to another, especially when you have a baby to take care of.
However, before moving to how to get a birth certificate, let’s dive into who needs to register for a birth certificate –
Who Needs a Birth Certificate?
As mentioned, birth date is not just any date, so is its registration. So, let’s see who needs a birth certificate registration –
- During the birth at your home.
- When birth happens outside the home.
- When a birth occurs at a hospital, maternity home, or medical institution.
- Be it birth in – in a vehicle, Dharamshala, Boarding house, and more.
So, under any of the above conditions, you are required to get a birth certificate for a newborn baby.
What are the Documents Required For Birth Certificate For Newborn Baby in India?
- Application for birth certificate on a plain paper.
- Evidence of a parents’ birth certificate, in regard to whom the certificate is required, indicating the location, date, and time of birth.
- Marriage certificate.
- Evidence of birth letter in hospital.
- For verification, parents’ identity proof will be required.
The above-mentioned documents are necessary to obtain a birth certificate. With that, before understanding let’s move to – how to get a birth certificate for a newborn baby in India.
How to Get Birth Certificate For Newborn Baby in India? (Manual/Offline Procedure)
- From the concerned authorities, get the “birth certificate registration form.”
- If your baby is born in the hospital, you will obtain the form from the Medical Officer In-charge.
- The birth certificate form must be filled within 21 days of the baby birth.
- If the birth certificate registration is not done within 21 days, registration will be done after police verification.
- A birth certificate will be issued, after the verification of birth records such as date, time, location, parent’s identity, and more.
- Within the 7 days after applying for the birth certificate, you are required to do a follow up with the concerned municipal authority.
- A self-addressed envelope will be provided at the municipal office, the baby’s birth certificate will be posted to your address within 7-14 days.
However, to make birth certification seamless, the government has introduced an online birth certification process. So, if you don’t want to get out of your home or leave your wife and baby alone, let’s see how you can get a birth certificate for a newborn baby in India just with finger access.
How to Get a Birth Certificate for a Newborn Baby? (Online Birth Certification Process Step-by-Step)
- Visit the official website for birth certificate registration.
- Sign-up to commence the registration process by clicking on sign-up for “General Public.”
- Then a signup pop-up will appear, where you are required to fill in all the required details such as your username, district/town, birth location, and more.
- If the area under your town/district signifies “Registration Unit” and “Username” is active it indicates that your location is valid for registration.
- Then add the verification code and click on the “Register tab.”
- Once the registration is done, a “Thank You” message will appear on the screen, including a mail will be sent to your registered email address for verification.
- This email will allow you to establish a new password.
- Once the password is established, you are required to sign-in once.
- After signing in, a pop up will reflect on your screen, you are required to fill in the baby’s name, parents’ name, and the birth location.
- Fill in the details and submit it after 24 hours.
- Either download a soft copy of the form or take a print out for further reference.
- Then, pay a visit to your concerned registrar of the region.
- Get your form attested either by registrar or sub-registrar.
What is the time limit to register newborn cases online?
A birth certificate registration must be done within 21 days from the date of its occurrence.
What kind of documents must be required, if the birth has occurred at the hospital?
Medical In-charge must report the birth of a baby to the concerned register.
How much fee is required for Birth Certificate Registration?
20 INR is the birth certification registration fee. A late fee will also be added if applying after 21 days.
How to get a baby birth certificate at the hospital?
Unfortunately, you can’t get a birth certificate at a hospital, thus, you are required to contact concerned local authorities like MCD, Cantonment Board, etc.
Now that you are aware of how to get a birth certificate for a newborn baby in India, you can easily complete the process because now you are at least aware of the concept of a birth certificate.
Be it an online process or offline, I have covered it to allow you to effortlessly understand either of them. However, if you have any doubt you ping us, we will provide you with the best of our knowledge.